Saturday, July 11, 2009

Day 11
We started our day by carrying our luggage to our car which was 2.5 blocks away. We then decided we would catch a bus to go to the Historical District in Philadelphia which was about eight blocks away. It was up hill though. After a stop at the Visitors Center to get a free ticket for the tour of Independence Hall we went to view the Liberty Bell.

We then saw Congress Hall where Congress met when Phil. was the Capitol. The first floor is where the Lower House met and the second floor is where the Senate met.


When we got into Independence Hall there was a short welcome speech by one of the Park Rangers. When we finally got into the room where the Declaration of Independence and where later the Constitution was written my heart started racing. I could feel such pride that my country took that first step. I can only imagine how hard it was for those men to come together for the good of our new nation This is something I never expected to be able to see and now I have. I am so thankful to Linwood and making sure I get to visit all the places that are important to me.

Independence Hall: The Bell Tower is where the Liberty Bell originally placed.



The room where everything 'good' happened.



On our "walk" back to the parking lot we stopped at Dunkin Donuts. It has been a long time since I was in one of those and I must admit the two donuts I had were wonderful. We also had lunch outside at one of the many cafes in the area. Linwood and I decided that Philly was just not 'our kind of town.'
Our lunch outside.





After we got through Baltimore, we decided it was time to stop for the day so we are in Laurel, Maryland tonight. For those you our age, you will remember this is the place that A. Breamer shot George Wallace when he was running for President. We hope to spend some time in DC tomorrow. There are several places I was to see again.



No comments:

Post a Comment