Thursday, July 2, 2009

We have had a wonderful day and the weather is wonderful. The high was 76 and the wind was blowing all day.

We left Bristol about 8:30 and headed north. As we drove through Blacksburg, VA, Linwood had to yell "Roll Tide" and I yelled "War Eagle". That is the team that AL plays against in the first game. We also stopped at the Natural Bridge and before we left we HAD to have an ice cream.

We then went to Lexington, VA. First, we rode through the VMI campus and then got to Washington & Lee University. The lawns were manicured and the flowers were beautiful. Even the magnolia trees were in bloom. We went into the Lee Chapel. Robert E. Lee was the President of the school after the Civil War. We saw a marble recumbent statue of Lee. The blanket he was lying looked like leather and the one over him looked like material. The entire thing was marble and it was beautiful. He was only 5'11" and had small feet. Downstairs was a small museum that we enjoyed seeing. Linwood loved the pocket watch, watch case, glasses, and shaving razor. He bought a picture that has three pictures of Lee. The first when he was at West Point, the next when he was a General in the Civil War, and the third was when he was a W&L. We also saw the burial place of his horse Traveller. No pictures were allowed in the chapel and when we got outside I tried to take a picture and my camera would not work. The lens would not come out so we headed to the nearest Walmart. There is not a Best Buy in the area. I bought my old camera for the wedding of Doug and Emily - six years ago. I did so much research on which camera I needed, wanted, and where I could get the most for my money. Today, we walked into the camera department and bought one in less than 15 minutes. We (I) got a Nikon and of course the battery had to be charged. Therefore there were no more pictures of today. But wait until tomorrow.

We then decided it was time to get off Interstate 81 and do the scenic route. We got on the Blue Ridge Parkway. The sights were so pretty. At one pull off, we got out of the car and sat on a three foot wall and hung our feet off. We just sat there and marvelled at the beauty of our country. When I said "Linwood, it is time we go." His answer was "I am not ready". So we stayed longer. It was so beautiful and I am glad we took the time to enjoy it.

We are staying tonight in Winchester, VA. Linwood talked to Linda's aunt and we are going to have breakfast with her and Uncle Jessie in the morning. We hope to be in Gettysburg after lunch tomorrow. I cannot believe I am actually here. We are having a great trip.

This is Washington & Lee University










Lee Chapel

No comments:

Post a Comment